this is the 2nd time i’m reblogging this today because i laughed just as hard as i did the 1st time i saw it
Pepper and JARVIS had to stage an intervention after Tony saw Pacific Rim.
#I bet Pepper saw the movie first#I bet she called up Rhodey and was like#’So I just watched Pacific Rim -‘#and Rhodey goes ‘Jesus#I know#he can never see it’#and that’s all they ever say on the subject#they keep Tony away from it for a solid few years#then he sees it#then the plot of Age of Ultron happens#I MEAN WHAT (via bonesbuckleup)
(Source: blandmarvelheadcanons, via knottahooker)
Learn your surgical terms! This is a lifesaver for students in the operating room.
That whole planting the american flag on the moon thing really backfired on us because the sun’s radiation bleached the flag entirely white and now it’s just the french flag planted in the moon which makes no sense
Well, as I always say, VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Vive la what, I just called the white flag of surrender the French flag, sit down
I think the Romani could probably understand this, as well as other diasporic groups with which I’m not as well acquainted, since their oppressions in many ways mirror anti-semitism. Some of these points will sound generally diasporic and, if so, those points are not intended to exclude other diasporic peoples. Most of these points are targeted at majority ethnicity people in the Western World, most specifically the United States since that’s where I live.
But if I had to explain “gentile privilege,” it would look like this.
Gentile privilege is:
- Never having to ask “is it safe to call this country home?”
- Never having to ask “when are they going to turn against us like everyone else did?”
- Never having to watch the same patterns of oppression occur against your group while haters of your group victim blame you because if it’s been happening for 2000 years there must be a good reason for it
- Never being constantly judged by the actions of your worst members while the majority culture erases the fact that the members of your group that they like are part of your group
- Never having to cringe when someone like Bernie Madoff shows up in the news and fearing that you are all going to be blamed and punished for this somehow
- Never having your ethnically distinct features be the short-hand for evil and ugly in popular culture (applies mostly to Ashkenazim)
- Never having your very existence erased because your group is supposed to look like one specific subset of your group, a point which the majority culture drives home so sharply that members of that subgroup internalize it and have to deprogram themselves
- Never having to hear that you don’t look like what you are as if it’s a compliment
- Never having to debate with people outside your group about who is actually a member of your group as if they have a say in the matter
- Never having people pretend to be members of your group and try to destroy your culture, religion and ethnicity from within
- Never having people deny your oppression because you don’t fit into their neatly predetermined categories
- Never having your group’s success in an industry be treated like an evil conspiracy to keep out people from other groups (see Jews control the Media, Jews control banking, Jews control Hollywood)
- Never having to constantly negotiate whether or not to ask for Holidays off because “You have too many Holidays and you must be making them up”
- Never having to spend two to three months every years listening to music, watching tv specials and being bombarded with advertisements related to a holiday you don’t celebrate while occasionally the majority culture will throw you a few nice gestures about a minor holiday they assume is important because it happens around the same time.
- Never having people steal or redefine your words and then tell you that you’re using your own words incorrectly
- Never having people use your group’s very name as a slur
- Never having to work on your sabbath when the majority culture doesn’t have to work on theirs
- Never having to deal with blue laws that won’t allow you to operate your business on a sunday to protect a sabbath you don’t practice
- Never having to navigate between your religious and secular obligations since the rest of the world doesn’t recognize your religious obligations as being part of the mainstream culture
- Never being accused of believing something you don’t by members of the majority society who think they know what you believe because their religion is descended from yours despite 2000 years of divergent theology and despite their group’s oppression of yours for the majority of that span
- Never hearing people dismiss or deny a genocide that killed millions of your people in living memory
- Never having people who did not have relatives in that genocide demand that you acknowledge the other victims of that genocide while those people deny that it was actually truly targeting you specifically at all, despite being a clear majority of the victims and having endless screeds, movies and laws created against you
- Never having to hear people act like that recent genocide is somehow an isolated incident and ignore the fact that the systemic oppression of your people started long before and has continued ever since and is only getting worse in recent times
- Never being accused of being exactly like the people who committed the genocide against your people
- Never having to see people try to reclaim the symbols of the people who committed that genocide against your people despite those people never having owned that symbol in the first place
- Never having to live with the cognitive dissonance of believing that your people need a safe homeland because of the oppression your people have faced for thousands of years with the recognition that its creation is causing enormous horrors for another people
- Never having to deal with a near total lack of solidarity when you point out your present-day oppression to people who claim to be interested in “Human Rights” and “Social Justice.”
- Never having to constantly point out to people that you suffer from the majority of religiously motivated hate crimes in your country because your listeners believe that your oppression isn’t a big deal
- Never having to remind other oppressed minority groups that the people who hate them hate you too and fearing that you will be accused of being privileged and racist for doing so
- Never having your concerns about oppression of your group in the diaspora be dismissed because the person is opposed to your ethnic state, not your ethnicity and don’t you know that there’s a difference
- Never having to watch people from countries that committed acts of expulsion and genocide against your people ignore and deny that they created the millions of refugees who moved to your controversial ethnic state
- Never having to watch the people who want to end your ethnic state express total apathy for the fates of the members of your ethnicity should that ethnic state be erased, despite their countries’ complicity in causing the conditions that made moving to that state necessary for their survival
- Never having people outside your group only acknowledge your oppression when a celebrity they don’t like is involved
- Never having people outside your group only care about famous members of your group when they find out that they are “othered” in a way other than being a member of your group, despite them having been murdered for being a member of your group
- Never having people outside your group become dilettantes about a specific part of your religion and only a specific part of your religion that is supposed to only be studied by members of your group who have decades of background in study in the whole of your religion because it’s “mysticism.”
- Never hearing people from other groups declare that you aren’t your group, they are.
- Never having people categorize you as a race or religion based solely on which definition will make it easier for them to hate, persecute, erase or appropriate you.
- Never being accused of stealing other peoples’ children to murder them for religious rituals
- Never being told that oppression olympics are wrong except when it comes to you
There’s probably a lot more. But I figured this needed to be written.
There are OTPs I’d go to hell for.
And OTPs I’m going to hell for
Quite possible the greatest tweet ever written.
"Have you met monsters before?"
“Are you scared of them?”
“No…They’re scared of me.”
Said every short high school teacher